I marathoned 6 episodes of this show yesterday. It started out painful, then I sort of became numb, and by the end I was so delirious, I’d almost convinced myself I was into it? Anyway, big stuff’s afoot and the show has clearly been canceled, so I may end up doing reaction posts for the final episodes.
1. Nolan Ross found a boy who treats him right! Since the writers are obviously sticking with the Emily/Jack endgame plan they started out with — regardless of what makes sense for the story they’ve actually been telling, not that I’m bitter or anything — Nolan ending up with a nice boy instead is really the best I can hope for.
Although I do wish that if he had to end up with someone else, it could have been more of a dude equivalent of Emily, i.e. someone crafty and kickass who could literally beat people up defending his honor. I HAVE NEEDS.
Also on the Nolan front: things that were good for me included Jack initiating a hug with him, and Emily apologizing for treating him like crap and promising that OF COURSE THEY WILL BE BESTIES 4-EVA.
2. Whaaaaaaaaat is going on with Margaux? Like, I never cared that much about her, but she at least had a consistent characterization of “sliver of integrity.” And now suddenly, she’s stroking her evil mustache as she plots to have a completely innocent woman probably murdered by an abusive ex just because she was once married to a guy who is now dating Emily? Um. Okay, writers. Sure.
ALSO HER HAIR IS STILL TRAGIC
3. Surprise cancer is such a tired trope and such an obvious confirmation that the writers have no idea what to do with David and I really just do no care. I DO NOT CARE ABOUT DAVID CLARKE, WRITERS. I also do not care about stupid effing Ben and his stupid effing feelings, and I seriously resent the amount of time being spent on either this close to the end. NO ONE CARES ABOUT BEN. EVEN EMILY DOES NOT CARE.
4. I do care about Emily finally outing herself as Amanda Clarke, but even that felt really tacked on and half-assed. Like, how did that even help with the problem they were actually having, re: Jack’s involvement in murder coverup? And then they just completely hand-waved any legal repercussions for Emily herself, so… okay. Why did you even wait that long if it was going to be so easy?
5. But onto the big one: THE QUEEN IS DEAD. LONG LIVE–nope, sorry. I’d be sadder about Victoria if I wasn’t so completely done with this show and also wasn’t aware that Graysons are now dropping like flies because: CANCELED! And at least she went out like she lived: sitting on that hideous chair.
Three whole episodes without Victoria are going to be painful, though. Especially because it leaves Margaux and Louise (lolololololol) as the remaining big bads for Ems to face down. (This has to be the end, right? RIGHT?)